Monday, December 8, 2008

Die Komplikationen, die Sie auf verzichten könnten

I've been thinking a lot about this song lately. It takes place when the ground becomes a floor of snowflakes. "Casimir Pulaski Day" is unassuming yet disarming because the melody, its tune, assumes that the song is happy, but within a few more seconds, Sufjan Stevens breathes ever so delicately "when I found out you had cancer of the bone".

One of the first times I was listening to it I kept thinking that the song was going to end many times before it actually did. But, then the story would not have been over. "Casimir Pulaski Day" is a hard listen. Like I said previously, the tune is not what defines the song, like Coldplay's "Clocks" for instance. The song is bleached by the lyrics, creating little holes in the happy melody.

I have a bad tendency of forgetting Sufjan's talent. This track is a healthy reminder of his soft-spoken creative brilliance. No doubt I will mention more thoroughly in the future.

One last note, this song is sung through a microscope because those subtle details that are ignored, or are so briefly recognized that they dissipate immediately are those same details that Sufjan pays attention to. Lines like, "I could see what you were reading" are loaded statements. By adding this simple, neglected line, personality is illuminated. He cares about about her. He wants to know what's going on her head at that specific time. Sufjan cares about this girl even down to the frays of her thoughts, where they are rooted. He is in love with her. That line just being there says so much. I challenge you to find deeper meaning in those otherwise ignored lyrics. Those words are there for a reason, whether to rhyme or give a mysterious wink, find out, guess the purpose. My bible professor reminded me of this with the song "Jezebel" by Iron & Wine (deserves a whole new post specifically). Okay, enough babbling. Get listening!!

Homemade music video depicting the story painted by Mr. Sufjan Stevens. Very interesting and completely from a fraction of the soul. I say that because it takes drive to commit to creating a video like this for such an intense song. Not bad.


William Fitzsimmon's covering the song. (I've posted this video already, but it should be watched again.) One of my favorite gentlemen justs plays this on the couch. How lovely =)


Title: "The Complications You Could Do Without" in German
In My Head: "Casimir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan Stevens

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. that blog was really good susqua.
i mean seriously.

aaaaaaand i have to ask you.
what are you bringing to my wedding? I will soon be Taylor Stevens.