Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Si Perdu Mes Cheveux et Ma Jeunesse



My towel fresh out of the dryer to wipe your drip-dropping hair.
That hug right before you leave a friend that you know you won't see for a while.
The look that there might be something more.
When a friend says, "I'll pray for you".
Finding the perfect skipping stone, and missing.
Those few breaths in which you and the mirror are not arguing.
Remembering the times tears were shed, realizing that you had forgotten until now.
An A paper that you think you don't deserve.
Acknowledging that perfection is a myth, but one you feed into consistently.
Being lost in a wood that should be familiar, but is a stranger all the same.
Someone who is quick to forgive.
Your lovable pet who either is blind to your faults or ignores them.
The beauty that comes with the imperfect, broken, nonsensical, and lost.



That's how I feel when I listen to this song.

I keep listening so that it can become moisturizer. I need this song to nourish my frail and dehydrated soul. Its words need to penetrate past my skin, to fight to get to my bloodstream. Maybe then will I actually believe that these words are true.

Title: "If I Lost My Hair and My Youth" in French
In My Head: "Utopia" by Alanis Morissette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that poetry was so BREATHTAKINGLY PHENOMINAL hannah. Wow. I'm speechless.~tay